Mega Billet Maten 308 Upper and Lower Set
Manufacturers info can be found at the bottom of this post.
Hokay, so after 5 long months of waiting I FINALLY got my MATEN! Some important things to know, the Maten Lower is only compatible with the Maten Upper and vice versa. Other compatibility information can be found here. http://megaarms.com/maten/compatibility/
So you know the gist about the Mega Maten series, they are a 308 based system that allows you to use most AR15 components in the lower instead of propietary 308 parts. The upper still requires normal 308 components (BCG, charging handle (which is included) barrel, handguard, brake).
You will not need a complete LPK for it since they include a bolt catch, Take down pin, pivot pin and all necessary detents and springs, all put together for you. You only need to add a magazine catch, Magazine button, Magazine spring, safety, safety spring, safety detent, Buffer detent and Buffer detent spring. In the picture below you can also see Magpul’s 20rd magazine fitting perfect.
The Mega Lower also has some modernization that deviates from the standard “Lower”. They included a bolt catch release on the right side of the lower, right above the Mag catch button.
They use a threaded bolt catch pin instead of a roll pin. The upgrades dont stop there as they also use an allen screw to retain the spring for the takedown pin detent, similar to Seekin’s lowers. I would remove the bolt catch before installing the magazine catch. Otherwise the magazine catch will get stuck on the Bolt catch while you’re tightening the catch onto the button.
Here you can the Allen wrench to remove the bolt catch pin.
Here you can see the Detent Spring Allen screw. Take notice to the smooth machining of the curve, beautiful work, Mega.
I used a BattleArms Development 90 Degree Safety Selector for the install.
Information from Maga’s Website
Machined from billet 7075-T6 aluminum
Weighs M308-0903-HA 28.8 oz
• The MATEN upper and lower receivers accept the widest variety of .308 components on the market.
• Included in this new platform: upper receiver, lower receiver, billet charging handle, threaded bolt catch pin, take down pins, dust cover door & upper receiver tensioning screw.
• Our billet upper & lower have been designed to be the most versatile and compatible platform available. A truly unique look and flawless function is what you should expect.
• We know you will rely on your new weapon like a tool, and that’s what you will get when using the MATEN. Strong & light weight, you can build your next rifle with the best of both worlds.
• Comes standard with laser engraved “T” numbers.
• Priced lower than most competitor’s forged sets.
• Integrated trigger guard for added functionality, and strength.
• Billet charging handle features an anti-slip surface for improved grip.
• Available in Nickel Boron or Black Hard anodized coatings.