My New Reloading Railed Bench – Part 2

My New Reloading Railed Bench – Part 2
Posted by on Aug 17, 2012 in Reloading, Uncategorized | 0 comments

My New Reloading Railed Bench – Part 2

Part 1 in the series of the Railed Reloading Bench

Click the link above to see the first part of this saga I did with Eric.

 

 

So now for step two we will then need the following.

Components used in this stage:

  • T-slot bolts (We used 1/4 20t screws)
  • Knobs (We used 1/4 20t screw thru knobs)
  • Nuts
  • Tee Nuts
  • Washers
  • Lag bolts
  • Additional piece of plywood as backing for the second rail
  • Bolts to attach your tools to the phenolic sheet
  • Blue painters tape
  • Clamps
  • Router
  • Drill
  • 1/2″, 3/8″ Drill bits
  • Rulers
  • Countersinking bit

 

In this second piece we are going to finish up installing the second rail insert and mount the board to the bench.

In these pics you can see the first channel routed out. Then we move the fence we made and rout out the second slot.

In the shot below you can see how many steps it took for us to get to the 1″ depth we needed for the rails. The reason you use the router in steps is so the router does not have to fight thru the wood and you have more control and quality in the end.

 We tested the grooves to make sure the rails fit and then placed the work top. We then figured out how we were going to drill the spots for the T-Slot screws. We used Blue painters tape to make sure the wood was protected in case a flock of flamingos distracted us while drilling and we lost control of the drill (aka Awesome 36v Bosch drill).

Here you can see the underside of the work bench. We put a sheet of plywood underneath to give the second rail additional support.

 Below is the front of the bench where the front rails T-slot screw will go thru and then get secured by a washer and a nut.

 I tested fitted a few T slot screws in the rail.

 Now onto the Phenolic Sheets. The phenolic is Extremely dense and we used new bits to cut thru the sheets. We made pilot holes and then used the 1/2″ bit even tho the T-slot screw is 1/4″ for an oversized hole. This way it’s easier to place the plates on top of the screws since there is some wiggle room.

 I bent the vertical spikes in the Tee nut because it will not be able to penetrate into the dense phenolic.

Here you can see the Tee nut countersunk into the bottom of the phenolic sheet.

Drilling the countersinks

The Bench all completed!

In the picture above you can see the vice I have mounted to a board that I can put up on the rails if I needed to use it.

 

I went all hulk and used my giant size to finish this project.

 

Click here to like FireSpeed Tactical on Facebook so you can see updates on when new articles are posted.

Click the Like button below to share this article on your wall.

Comments

comments

No comments

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. My New Reloading Railed Bench – Part 1 | Firespeed Tactical - [...] Part 2 http://firespeedtactical.com/my-new-reloading-railed-bench-part-2/ [...]

Leave a Reply